Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Flashbacks


Here is a quick recap on how things are looking for the Frosh/Soph(FS) team:

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life." 
-Mickey Mantle
MONDAY:
Non varsity players are split up into groups of outfielders and infielders.  After a brief time of working with the outfielders, I identify players that will not be apart of the exciting FS team this year.  I break them into two groups (skilled and...raw), and try not to get anyone hurt.

"It took me 17 years to get three thousand hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course."
- Hank Aaron
TUESDAY:
The groups are split by grades.  I take all the freshman and tell them to go to a position that they'd like to play.  I get excited a little due to the fact that all the infield spots are filled with guys who, dare I say, know what they are doing!  During the last 15 minutes of practice the JV coach comes over and starts talking to some of "my" freshman.  He says he just wants to see if any of them can pitch.

"Don't forget to swing hard, in case you hit the ball.
 ~Woodie Held

WEDNESDAY:
As I walk up to my group today, I can see that we've started to gain the sophomores that won't make the JV squad.  I also notice that all the freshman that got me excited are no where to be found.  I tell the guys to go to their position of choice.

After about 5 minutes...flashback to last year.  We are at the ground floor here people.  I have ONE guy who looks like he knows what he is doing.  I feel bad for him, and give him hope that things will get better.

After watching my new infield options, I wanted to cry.  One guy wanted to play shortstop, but bless his heart, he has an arm like a wet noodle.  He fielded the ball, then started to run towards first.  My first thought was, "This guy is going to run the ball over to first!"  After taking about five running steps towards first he let go of the ball.  About five seconds later the ball got to first.

So as we go into Thursday, we'll see if we have any pitchers.

Let the adventure continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment