Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer School Fun

As a teacher, I have heard and seen some things that I would have never guessed would happen.  Today I had a new experience.


I was going through the homework that was turned in and I noticed that one girl's homework looked funny.  I could see that a name of a student was erased on each of the four papers, some light scribbles were added over the erased name, and a new name was written.  On the back of one of the pages the original name was still there.

I went over to the student and let her know that I can't give her credit for these homework assignments. Here's how the conversation went:


Me: "I can't give you credit for these homework since they are not yours."

Student: "They are mine.  I have my name on them."

Me: "Yes, but I can see the name of [another student] and you've tried to cover it up."



Student: "But this is mine.  She helped me."

Me: "The handwriting for the name is different than that of the work."

Student: "A different pencil was used."

Me: "It  shouldn't matter what kind of pencil, it's not the same person's writing."

Student: "She help me with the work.  I wrote my name on it."

Me: "So she did the work, and you just put your name on it."

Student: "Yeah."

Me: "I can't give you credit for that."

Student: "WHY?"

WHY?  Are you kidding me??


Me:  "YOU have to DO the work.  If I gave you a test, she can't do all the work and then YOU put your name on it."

Student: "Oh."

I guess I'm old fashion like that.  Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment